SIGHTS IN THE DOWNTOWN AREA
Town Hall (1. Városháza Sqr.):
The Town Hall was built in the 19th century in neo-baroque style. It is one of the most well-known buildings of Győr furthermore it is the symbol of the city. The hall (díszterem) can be visited every Tuesday. Previous registration is required in the Visitors’ Center of Győr (21. Baross G. Str.). The suggested time period for tours is between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m, however it is necessary to get previous confirmation. Visit of the tower: Prior request is a necessity. The required documents must be filled in and sent to the secretariat of the notary. The documents are available at the reception of the Town Hall and in the Visitors’ Center of Győr or it can be downloaded from the following website.
The Tower can be visited individually or with a group after signing the responsibility statement. It is important, that up to 15 people can stay in the tower at the same time.
Baross Street: In the heart of the city’s pedestrian street, a marble plaque on the wall and red bricks on the street remind us of the Fehérvári Gate (1792), as well as the watch tower, which served to protect the city from fire. Show on map
Széchenyi Square: It is the main baroque square of Győr, which was renovated recently. It plays an important role in the life of the city. Show on map
Column of St. Mary: The column was built in 1686 by Lipót Kollonich bishop of Győr. It stands in the middle of the square to commemorate the recapture of Buda from the Turks.
Building-complex of the Benedictines: The St. Ignatius Benedictine Church, the monastery and the grammar school were built in the 17th century by the Jesuits. After the dissolution of the monastic order the Benedictines became the owners of the buildings. As part of the monastery the Pharmacy Museum still operates. The baroque style building can be found on the southern side of the complex.
Lloyd (7. Széchenyi Sqr.): This two-storied building was constructed at the end of the 15th century as a guesthouse. The façade alloys the characteristics of Baroque and Classicist styles. The building was modernised and renovated in 2010. Show on map
Abbot’s House (5. Széchenyi Sqr.): It was built between 1741 and 1742 by Benedek Sajghó Abbot of Pannonhalma. The gorgeous baroque palace gives home to the History Museum of Győr. Show on map
House with the Iron Stock (4. Széchenyi Sqr.): According to the legend, it was named after the ‘Stock im Eisen’ (iron log) that stands below its corner balcony. Every itinerant craftsman stroke a nail in the log before leaving the town. In fact it is the remaining signboard of the grocery, which opened here in the 1830’s. Show on map
Esterházy Palace (17. Király Str.): It gained its present appearance in the 18th century when small medieval houses were built together. The initials of the owner CGE (Comes Gabriel Esterházy) and his gilded wrought iron coat of arms can be found on the balcony above the gate. Currently, it is the residence of the Rómer Flóris Art and History Museum, the Radnai Collection and temporary exhibitions. Show on map
„Golden-ship” Sign (Jedlik Ányos Str.): Over the entrance of the house, on the corner of Dr. Kovács Pál Street hangs the Golden Ship signboard. It was created by Bandi Schima, (1938) a goldsmith from Győr. The original piece can be found in the Abbot’s house. Show on map
Kreszta-house: It is a historic building from the 17th century that provides place for the permanent exhibition of the works of Margit Kovács ceramic artist. (1902-1977) Show on map
Jedlik Fountain: It is a soda bottle shaped fountain, which was built in honour of Ányos Jedlik, inventor of soda water. Show on map
Dunakapu Square: It is one of the most important squares in Győr. It was completely renewed by 2015 and currently it is the main venue for great events. Show on map
Ark of the Covenant: It is one of the most beautiful memories of the Baroque. It was erected by Charles III in 1731. It stands on the Gutenberg Square. Show on map
Káptalandomb (Chapter Hill): In the St. Ladislaus Visitors’ Center visitors can get information about the history of the Diocese and the city. (Main sights: Basilica Museum, Bishop’s Castle- Lookout Tower, Chapter House, Vilmos Apor Memorial Exhibition, Library and Treasury of the Diocese, Museum House) Show on map
Basilica: The foundation of the Cathedral is attached to the name of King Stephen I. It was originally built in romanesque style in the 11th century, and it was rebuilt in gothic style after the Tatar invasion. The church got damaged heavily after the Turkish invasion, as one of its towers fell down, and the other one became the victim of a thunderbolt. The ruined Cathedral was rebuilt in early baroque style its present steeple in Louis Seize style was made in the 1680’s. The interior of the church was finished in the 1780’s. The frescos, still visible on the ceiling and the walls were painted at that time.
The church was promoted to a Basilica by Pope John Paul II in 1996. The sight of the northern aisle is the painting of the Weeping Holy Mary, which was brought from Ireland in 1655. On the day of St Patrick, (17 March, 1697) the painting started to shed tears of blood.
Bishop's Castle: It is the residence of the 100-year old episcopate. Its specialty is the residential tower dating back to the 13th century, from where a beautiful panorama can be seen. In the cellar an exhibition can be seen about the life and work of Vilmos Apor bishop. Show on map
Bécsi kapu Square (Vienna Gate Square):
The Carmelite Church: The church and the friary were built between 1721 and 1725 by the plans of Márton Wittwer Athanasius Carmelite monk. The painting of the main-altar portrays St. Stephen and St. Emmerick paying homage to the Blessed Virgin. Next to the church stands the baroque statue of Foam Mary in an open chapel. The former Carmelita friary operates as a hotel today. Show on map
Statue of Károly Kisfaludy: It can be found in the middle of the Bécsi kapu Square. This bronze statue was made in 1892 by Lajos Mátrai. Show on map
Castle (Bécsi kapu Sqr.): The Bishop’s Castle was established in the 13th century. The complex, which dates back to the 14th-15th century, is the oldest building in the city. The fort (Castle Bastion and the Sforza Bastion) was built in the 16th and 17th centuries. Show on map
The Canons (Bécsi Kapu Sqr.): They were brought from Vienna in the 19th century. They provide a popular venue for relaxation. Show on map
The Statue of St. Stephen: On the Bastion promenade under the castle-walls, on the bank of Rába stands the life-sized statue of King Stephen I, created by Ferenc Medgyessy (1940). Show on map
Radó Island: The island is surrounded by the two branches of the Rába, and it is situated among three districts Belváros, Újváros and Sziget.The island is a popular place for events, walks, relaxation and recreation.
Synagogue (5. Kossuth Str.): The neolog Synagogue was built between 1868 and 1870. Nowadays it operates as a multicultural institution. The building provides home for the private collection of János Vasilescu. The collection consists of Hungarian fine arts after the WWII. Show on map
National Theatre of Győr (II. János Pál Sqr.): The op-art works of Victor Vasarely decorate the southern and eastern facades of the building. In the theatre the large paintings on porcelains can be visited, which were created by Endre Szász. The National Theatre of Győr offers its audience a wide range of performances. Moreover, it is also the home of the internationally recognised Ballet of Győr. Show on map
Füles Bastion (4/B. Pálffy Str.): It was a part of the border fortress of Győr in the Turkish period. Here, the visitors can get to know a lot about the flora and fauna of South-America. Show on map
Xantus János Zoo (Kiskút liget): It provides home for 700 animals which belong to 100 different species. The animals are kept in a spacious territory similar to their natural habitat. Show on map
Mobilis Interactive Exhibition Centre (66. Vásárhelyi Pál Str.): It is a ‘scientific playground’ that focuses on transportation, motion and mobility. There are 74 exhibition tools, which can be used by the visitors. Moreover, spectacular experiments are held to impress the audience. Show on map
Audi Hungaria Visitor Centre (1. Kardán Str.): It gives a unique insight into the engine production and the car manufacturing. Previous registration is required: www.audi.hu