Saint László Reliquary (Chapter hill - Basilica)
One of the most valuable relics of Hungary
Our knighted king, St. László was laid to rest in Nagyvárad, the pieces of his skull were placed into a golden-silver reliquary that was decorated with wire enamel. After being chosen to be the bishop of Győr, the bishop of Nagyvárad brought this reliquary to the city as gift. The respect for this holy king spread greatly after the earthquake in 1763. The faithful were prayed to St. László to protect Győr from the earthquake. The city was not heavily damaged, therefore on 27th June 1763 Bishop Ferenc Zichy organized a huge thanksgiving feast and he decreed that the reliquary be taken on a procession every year around the town.